As a beginner, the task of preparing one’s computer for coding can seem daunting and overwhelming. However, with the proper steps and considerations, it can become a streamlined and efficient process.
This guide streamlines the process of preparing for coding, providing a clear and easy-to-follow outline of the necessary prerequisites for a successful coding experience.
In this case, we will use Microsoft Azure as an example as it provides various deployment options for your infrastructure. You can read more about Microsoft Azure and its impact on cloud computing here. While utilising the front end to build or spin up instances is a common practice, implementing infrastructure as code can present challenges.
The field of infrastructure as code offers a multitude of programming languages to choose from, each with its unique benefits and limitations. Some of the most popular options include Terraform by HashiCorp, ARM by Microsoft, and Bicep by Microsoft.
- In order to prepare your computer for the creation of infrastructure as code, please follow the steps outlined below.
- Install VS Code as per this link Documentation for Visual Studio Code.
- Install Azure CLI as per this link Install the Azure CLI for Windows | Microsoft Doc.
- Restart vscode window for the AZ CLI to come into effect.
- In the VS Code window, click Terminal > New Terminal > Type az login > hit enter.
- Browser window opens up, enter your Azure login details.
- The below screenshot indicates that Azure CLI is working correctly.
8. Add Terraform Extension
9. Add “ARM Tools” Extension
10. Add “ARM Template Viewer”
11. Add Bicep Extension
12. Start writing code
In conclusion, the tools and methods used for writing infrastructure as code can be readily applied to other platforms and technologies.
Skillfield is an Australian based IT services consultancy company empowering businesses to excel in the digital era. Across our two main practices of Cyber Security & Data Services, our talented and committed professionals provide smart and simplified solutions to complex cyber security and big data challenges.